Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Easy Homemade Potato Soup

I don’t know about you, but I’m completely 100% beyond ready for fall. The colors, the smells, the decorations, the food, all of it. I’m smitten and already struggling with not setting out my fall decor! (That’s a joke…kinda). So, instead of pulling out all of my decor I decided that a simple favorite comfort food of ours would hold me back, for at least a little while longer.
I’ve used this recipe for awhile because it’s easy and doesn’t involve peeling potatoes! There’s something about peeling those babies that I’m not fond of, unless it is absolutely necessary, and for this recipe it’s totally not necessary!

New Image
Ingredients:
  • 2 cans (14 oz each) chicken broth
  • 1 block (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1/2 cup onion, diced into small pieces
  • 1 bag (30 oz) frozen hash browns (I use cubed ones, because I prefer the texture and chunks of potato)
  • 1 TBSP garlic, minced (or more, if you love it like Hubby and I do!)
  • 3 TBSP butter
  • shredded cheese for topping (optional)
  • bacon bits for topping (optional)
  • ground black pepper (optional)

Instructions
  1. In a large stock pot mix together your chicken broth and hash browns, let cook over medium heat stirring occasionally.
  2. Melt butter in a small skillet and cook garlic and onions until tender (3-4 minutes, or until onions are translucent).
  3. Stir onion and garlic mixture into stock pot with your potatoes and broth. Allow to cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
  4. Add cream cheese to soup, mixing well. Allow to cook until your cream cheese is melted and mixed in thoroughly. Season with pepper (if desired, sometimes I add garlic salt, or sage as well). Top with shredded cheese and bacon bits!
If you’d like to make this in the crock pot, it’s definitely possible and turns out just as tasty! To do so just place all of your ingredients in the crock pot and cook on low for 7 – 8 hours or high for 4 – 5 hours!

3 comments:

  1. Hey! I LOVE this recipe! It's sooo yummy! But I'm wondering, where does the cream of chicken soup come into play? I just always add it with the cream cheese but I didn't see it in the directions anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see the cream of Chicken Soup either...where does it go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this recipe! I'm not a fresh onion or garlic fan so I substitute with 1 teaspoon each of onion and garlic powder and it is still tasty! I also add the can soup at the same time as the cream cheese. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete